When you have apnea when sleeping, not enough oxygen flows to your lungs and the level of oxygen in your blood drops.
In the long term, the low levels of blood oxygen cause the release of stress hormones in your body, causing a state of
inflammation. This puts you at risk for the following conditions:
- Higher risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, obesity, diabetes
- Higher risk of heart failure, or worsening of heart failure
- More likely to develop heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeat
- Increase the risk of work related or driving accidents up to 8 times 
- Shorter lifespan of 58 years on average (much lower than the average lifespan of 78 years for men and 83 years for women)